[MLB-WIRELESS] Colorbond/roof insulation interference.

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 17 12:56:53 EST 2003

in an ideal world, you'd want to clear the top of the dish before the
start of the omni...

It will slightly, distort the radiation pattern of the omni regardless,
but to a lesser extent if the omni starts above the top of the galaxy

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 12:22, lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:
> John said :
>
> >2.4GHz radio waves (as used in WLANs) will not propagate though metal.
> >A colorbond roof will block any signal from an antenna in the roof space.
> >(Possibly you will get a weak signal though the ceiling, but any decent
> >singal will be a fluke.)
>
> Thanks. I didn't think it would work. In the interests of science I might
> have a go and see what I get. :)
>
> >Typically an omni will have a null on it's axis, so an antenna directly
> >below it will be in a favourable position.
>

> So something like the below would work fine? Or would the omni need to be
> clear of the galaxy overlap area?
> (warning crappy ascii art ahead, not sure if it will work)
>

> ()
> ||  <------ 6db omni
> ||    /
> ||   /
> ||  /    <---- overlap area!
> || /
> ||/
> ()----------\
> ()----------/     <--- ex galaxy
> |\
> | \
> |  \
> |   \
> |    \
> |

> |     <---- Mast

Signed,
Steven Haigh
http://wireless.org.au
(Visit https://wireless.org.au to install our Root Certificate.)

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.