[MLB-WIRELESS] Structure & Bandwith

Jason Xuereb jxuereb at optushome.com.au
Thu Feb 13 14:40:22 EST 2003

My reply below.

We're going over it. My house is a double story and almost clears the tafe
building. The whole building isn't 14 metres high only the front bit is. The
builder must of wanted it to look higher.

> > >Also we are going to build helical antennas for these links. How do you
> aim
> > >the antennas so they are aligned?
> > >
> > Luck, and a compass.
> >
> > >Is it necesarry to be perfect in terms of direction and angles?
> > >
> > Not at the gain of a helical, but it still has to be close. Remember to
> > wind them both the same direction too, or you'll get no signal trying to
> > link.

Yep their both winded using the right handed template.

> > >Also if we were to add two more AP's How should we link them? At the
> moment
> > >the point in the middle of the map looks like the safest bet in terms
of
> LOS
> > >to link more people within our suburb.
> > >
> > Putting an omni in the middle? Or you running 2 cards and 2 helicals? If
> > you run an omni you'll lose 3dB (half the signal) by using a helical to
> > connect to it.

We are going to run 4 cards and 4 helicals. 2 in the middle point and one at
each end. The center point will also feature an omni antenna so we can test
it driving around in the car.

> > > Plus he is going to mount a 10 metre
> > >mast for the antennas in his shed so it won't worry him that much.
> > >
> > May want to apply for a permit for that...

Checked with the council they basically said it falls under the estehic look
of the house. The mast will be blanketed by trees don't think it will be too
much of a problem seeing all these galaxy antennas are 6 metres above most
peoples roofs still.