[MLB-WIRELESS] Evangelism

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Feb 6 12:40:44 EST 2003

Hi,

In addition to my previous reply ..

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Jamie Lovick wrote:

> > Questions
> >
> > 6) Are there wireless computer standards that people need to know
> > about? If so, how can people find out about them?
>
> Pertaining to non spectrum licenced 802.11 style devices, aside from
> the IEEE 802.11b and similar standards for wireless devices, and the
> ACA's Spread Spectrum Device Class License, there are not really any
> standards for the deployment of 802.11 style networks.

The IEEE have just ratified a standard for Wireless Metropolitan
Networks called 802.16. For more information check out
http://www.wirelessman.org/

In my readings so far, it looks like it may be some time before standard
and inexpensive equipment will come available.

> Groups such as the Australian Wireless Association and Melbourne
> Wireless are working to create Psuedo standards for the deployment
> of such networks, to make life easier for everyone.

I am sure both groups will be taking 802.16 into consideration.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----