[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing with the kernel

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 16 05:35:29 EST 2003

I don't know enough about routing or unix to see whether this
approach is original or he's just re-inventing the wheel, but I
grabbed the following info from this page:

http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/technology.html

would any nix routing gurus care to comment?

" What is the Ghetto Ring?

The Ghetto Ring is an affectionate name for the prototype of the ring
technology designed in the Sleekfreak lab from 2001-2002.

It uses the routing features of the linux kernel  combined with
multiple ip networks, multiple network interfaces in each node, and
cross-connect cabling to produce a smoothly operating, highly stable,
and efficient ring.

The routing tables were hand written with the route command and
tested, then written into the boot sequence with a script in the
/etc/init.d directory called form a symlink in /etc/rc2.d .

This process allows hub/switchless networking and offers the
capability of redundent routes to multiple networks.

Bproc was then added to the kernel, providing parallel processing
across the ring, and NFSv4 was used to merge the filesystems of all
machines on the ring. "

There is a link on the page for more info.

Clae.

--
---
"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and