[MLB-WIRELESS] Network Structure - Was Re: Anyone know these people?

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:06:43 EST 2003

I think it could work like this, for a permanent infrastructure anyway.

The highest highpoints are visible in most areas to most people.  These are
places such as the CBD, Mt Dandenong and so on.  The CWN should organise and
plan in such a way so that out in the suburbs, only certain nodes should be
allowed to link to the highest highpoints. These would be chosen considering
factors such as the node owner's location (high is good), setup and
long-term commitment to the CWN.  Other nodes in the same suburb would not
be allowed to link to the highest highpoints, but would be able to link to
the suburban highpoint, and to each other.  Hopefully after a while the
density of nodes in the suburbs would be high enough for a mesh to form,
with lots of omni-to-omni links, greatly reducing the strain on the backbone
links.

What about mobile nodes that don't have "high-linking" privileges but can't
see any other lower nodes?  As well as APs on higponts for the sole use of
the suburban distributor nodes, we could also have open access APs up there.
These would be for those who are mobile and can't see a suburban distributor
node.

Would the participants in the CWN accept this sort of order being imposed on
them?  Would it take some of the fun out of it?  This is where the politics
comes in. :)  The CWN would need a representitive governing body to be able
to administer this system.

By having this system of restricted access APs on highpoints we have a
guaranteed stable backbone over a wide area.   But long-term we can't rely
on a "star" network topology; we need to create a mesh or grid of links.
All the CWN participants need to play their part in increasing network
connectivity.  Everyone needs to try to link to more than one other node.

Dan