[MLB-WIRELESS] PCB etching

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 16 11:10:09 EST 2003

You could Do-It-Yourself.  Here is a list of the things you
need from Jaycar with catalogue numbers and prices.  Total
set up cost is $58.10 for enough gear to do 0.3 square
metres of PCB.  Add the cost of the PCB (around $2.50 per 100cm^2).

Any other electronics shop will also sell this stuff.  I just
happened to have Jaycar's latest catalogue to hand.

Access to laser printer
Access to electric drill
Access to electric iron (as in the one you do your clothes with)
Etch your Own PC Boards Booklet  BI-8212  $2.00
Press 'n' Peel Film  HG-9980  $34.95
Blank PCB board HP-9510/2/4/5  $3.50-$21.25 depending on size
1.0mm Drill bit TD-2410  $2.25  AND/OR  0.8mm Drill bit TD-2408  $2.25
PCB Drill Chuck TD-2010  $8.95
Ammonium Persulphate  NC-4254  $9.95
Water
Container big enought to etch board in.
(If doing your own design, a copy of the Free 'pcb' program for Linux)

The basic sequence is
- Print design onto press n peel film
- Clean board
- Iron the design onto the PCB, from the film
- Mix etchant and dunk PCB in it, stirring a bit until copper has etched away.
- Wash board
- Drill holes.
- Clean board

I chose press 'n' peel film as the simplest, but you can also
use ristron, resist pens, tape, ...

Anyone out there experimented with running the PCB directly
through the 'straight paper path' of their laser printer?
Could save over half the cost that way.

Best wishes
John