[MLB-WIRELESS] Mandrake 9.0

Andrew Griffiths andrewg at d2.net.au
Wed Apr 2 03:55:58 EST 2003

Alex Musgrove wrote:
> thanks for the quick response,
> yeah, the kernel picks up the cradle as BRIDGE_CARDBUS
> I have installed PCMCIA-CS, and WIRELESS TOOLS
>
> So, if it's picked up the cradle, I assume it has the card, because it
> doesn't list it...
> Does it list it in hardware, or do I have to tell it to look?  thx

If you don't mind the command line, try "ifconfig -a" without the
quotes. If you have a pcmcia wireless card in there, it should tell you
if its working, by having at least 1 ethernet (ie, ethX, where X is a
number) device in there. (If you have a NIC, then you should have 2 ethX
devices).

If you don't, the pmcia card services isn't running, most likely.

To get that working, under the command line, you should be able to type
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

I think the mandrake configuration thing is called "runlevels" or so,
and you can configure which services is running. Enable pcmcia-cs if it
is not enabled by default.

I don't understand what you mean by "doesn't list it". However, the
"ifconfig -a" command will tell you if its working.

Thanks,
Andrew Griffiths