[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar power modelling

Kym Michael kmichael at sustance.com
Thu Apr 3 15:04:39 EST 2003

I worked out from some previous posts that about 40 Amp hrs storage were
required.

I have been buying some ex one-tel backup batteries for another purpose.

45 amp hr 12 volt gell cells, new unused backup replacements. Obviously
stored longer than desirable but still holding about 12.75 volt.

I paid about $65, he had pallets of them.

I others interest I can follow up to see if I can get more

At 12:39 AM 4/3/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>A week or so ago I asked a question about solar powering nodes and where to
>get good data and simulation information. I got little response and several
>I want to know as well messages. Here is what I found over the last week:
>
>Solar data.
>I was looking for good sources of solar radiation data.
>http://www.squ1.com
>A consultancy firm that appears to be part of Cardiff University in the UK.
>They do tools and consultancy on building design. In there shareware section
>they have a program called the weather tool. They also have available for
>free download hourly data files of weather for lots of locations around the
>globe. The unregistered version of the weather tool does not allow you to
>export weather data to a text file. it is however a very useful and
>instructive program.
>
>Meteonorm
>http://www.meteotest.ch/en/mn_home?w=ber
>Meteonorm is just the ticket. You can download an evaluation version from
>their site. They have an extensive database of weather for the whole globe
>on an hourly basis. The download version only has 1 years data in it will
>only allow you to export data to a text file for a limited number of cities,
>Frankfurt, Tokyo, Accra (Ghana), Brazillia and somehwere else I forget. What
>makes this program ideal for our purpose is that you can define an arbitary
>inclined plane and get it to export the incident solar radiation levels hour
>by hour for a whole year. Most excellent.
>
>The model
> >From the meteonorm package I exported a data file for Frankfurt and Accra
>(Ghana) for an inclined plane facing north at and angle of 45 deg (not
>otimum angle).
>The output looks like this:
>
>1       1       7       7       51      46      91      67      74      27.3
>1       1       8       8       248     122     365     151     424     27.9
>1       1       9       9       393     215     470     235     352     29.4
>1       1       10      10      606     236     712     275     545     31.3
>1       1       11      11      768     257     879     307     637     32.7
>1       1       12      12      764     359     844     401     466     35.1
>1       1       13      13      801     339     887     383     528     37.4
>1       1       14      14      677     372     733     394     372     38.6
>1       1       15      15      533     342     584     361     272     39.3
>1       1       16      16      287     247     287     237     73      39.0
>

>We are interested in column 7 which is the radiation incident on the
>inclined plane. The help documentation for meteonorm tells you what all the
>columns are.
>
>I imported this into excel and added a few formula.
>
>The model is very simplistic. It models the charge in a battery that
> [...]

Best Regards, Kym Michael

Sustance Pty Ltd ABN 69 065 107 422 - eCommerce, Education, ePublications
Australian Government Endorsed Supplier: #716 - 1998
Web: http://www.sustance.com - Ph: +61 5 0085-8687 - Fax: +61 5 0085-8600
Mailto:kmichael at sustance.com - quote "ktmagm" in email for fast delivery
Street Ad: 526 Torrens Road, Woodville North, South Australia, 5012
Postal Ad: GPO Box 3152ff, Melbourne, Victoria, 3001, Australia