[MLB-WIRELESS] Dropouts with Enterasys cards

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Mon Sep 30 12:06:19 EST 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Ian Donaldson wrote:

> Is anyone experiencing random dropouts with the Enterasys Roamabout cards?
>
> System is:
>
> Toshiba Tecra 8000
> WinXP SP1
> D-Link DWL-900AP+ access point.
>
> I'll be just sitting in my living room using the net and the
> connection will drop out with with a "Wireless Connection
> Unavailable" message from WinXP. A few seconds later, it'll come up
> with a "Connected to: blah, Signal Strength: excellent" message and
> off we'll go again. This continues to happen at intervals between 5
> and 30 minutes. Sometimes, the system actually freezes up while the
> connection drops out, although this could have something to do with
> whether or not XP was handing a packet at the time the connection
> dropped out.

I have a very similar setup, but I have Windows 2000 on my notebook. I
have found that if you don't have the latest 7.44 drivers it will do
things like this, and also complain about WEP encryption, even though it
stays connected.

> I've tried both the stock XP drivers and the latest Enterasys ones,
> but no difference. I'm reluctant to do anything to the firmware
> because firstly its Kevin's card, not mine, and secondly it looks
> like something's already been done to it. :) (Running a later
> firmware than whats on Enterasys' site)

Once the driver it updated, it seems fine.

The firmware on my cards is 6.06, and the firmware in the AP is 2.1.

It could be a firmware issue. I have had issues with some AP's using the
Orinoco 8.1 firmware, including things like slow transfer rates.

> Maybe it just doesn't like the TI-equipped D-Link ...

Aside from what I have mentioned above, I have had no problem with a
Cabletron/Enterasys talking to the DWL-900AP+

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----