[MLB-WIRELESS] Dropouts with Enterasys cards

Ian Donaldson ian at myinternet.com.au
Mon Sep 30 11:37:08 EST 2002

Hi all,

Is anyone experiencing random dropouts with the Enterasys Roamabout cards?

System is:

Toshiba Tecra 8000
WinXP SP1
D-Link DWL-900AP+ access point.

I'll be just sitting in my living room using the net and the connection
will drop out with with a "Wireless Connection Unavailable" message from
WinXP. A few seconds later, it'll come up with a "Connected to: blah,
Signal Strength: excellent" message and off we'll go again. This continues
to happen at intervals between 5 and 30 minutes. Sometimes, the system
actually freezes up while the connection drops out, although this could
have something to do with whether or not XP was handing a packet at the
time the connection dropped out.

I've tried both the stock XP drivers and the latest Enterasys ones, but no
difference. I'm reluctant to do anything to the firmware because firstly
its Kevin's card, not mine, and secondly it looks like something's already
been done to it. :) (Running a later firmware than whats on Enterasys' site)

Maybe it just doesn't like the TI-equipped D-Link ...

Ian
Ian Donaldson, SA @ MI                       -- ian at myinternet.com.au