[MLB-WIRELESS] Range for particular antenna/card combination

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Sep 26 08:09:04 EST 2002

> Is it possible to determine, given a particular antenna and wireless
> card, what range you could get from it?  As an example, using the 8dBi
> omni antenna[1] and a 100mW WL200[2], how far could I reach?

That's dependent on a number of other variables.  Besides your card and
antenna, the other variables include:

Antenna gain at other end
Feedline losses at both ends
Transmit power at other end
Receive sensitivity at other end
Path between you and other end (is it LOS or are there trees/hills/buildings
in the way?)
Degree of interference (from other WLANs/microwave ovens, etc)

You get the idea? :)

The link is a complete system and needs to be evaluated at such.  So, given
the specs for cards and antennas at both ends and some idea of terrain, you
can estimate the possible range.  There are spreadsheets on the Net to do
this for line of sight paths.

---
Outgoing mail ihas been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain