[MLB-WIRELESS] Here comes the pain...

Max the Dude tymmo at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 20 17:41:35 EST 2002

I think something's been missed here.
I'm not sure if this falls within the guidlines of Melb Wireless, though.

I have a friend that I want to connect with about 10 K's away, and over a
number of hurdles (definitely NLOS). I could wait and pray that someone one
day soon will bring links up along the way, but I want it now!
Does this change in legislation allow me to build a backbone to his place,
paying for all equipment and leasing req's (rooftop space/power) and then to
resell to the local communities where AP/Bridges are, bringing them into the
community. (I's only thinking $5-10  a month to cover equipment costs,
upgrades and my time). I know it then becomes commercial but at a low level
but provides the greater community with a cheap way to get involved. Imagine
if it took off. Offering the lay video phone calls for a start, and for
free, is something Telstra will never be able to offer. Teenage
boyfriend/girlfriend spending hours mindlessly drooling over each other from
their own bedrooms! yuk, well maybe not!

But seriously, if the community network were allowed to grow faster than
business, and managed, then the network could offer business the same
network for use. VPN's, etc.
Keep their costs down too.And keep the noise controllable
The only way for it to happen would be to lay out some equipment and bring
people on and charge a nominal amount to keep the network growing
There's "franchise" opportunities for us all, as long as it's organised and
some extra monies available to some serious network routing engineers

Have I just crossed the line? I'm only musing
cheers