[MLB-WIRELESS] FW: [Oz-ISP] Wireless News Story - No more carrier License required!

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Fri Sep 20 15:32:25 EST 2002

> http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,5134609%255E15306,00.html
>
> Hi All,
>
> does this mean an ISP can now provide wireless links for the last
mile?

My comments/speculation (all that's available at the moment):

All of the news articles are talking about bringing wireless technology
in line with cable-type laws. From my understanding, this is not going
to necessarily allow WISPS to provide internet access for the public
(eg: Like Alphalink).

The current laws with cable based transit (again, just from my limited
knowlege) permit charging for transit within an owned premesis. You
cannot transcend a property boundry without carrier licensing.

Eg: An internet cafe can sell data provided on their own premesis, and
an ISP can provide data over phone lines (as the layer 1 is owned by a
telco), but an ISP couldn't lay their own cables out to peoples houses
and charge for data without a carrier license (providing carriage
services). This would be the same for wireless - eg: no dirty big APs on
buildings with people hanging connections off them without carrier
licensing.

This might also explain why all (most?) of the articles mention wireless
'hotspots' and internet cafe's rather than WISPs.

Upshot: The 2.4 ghz spectrum should not really become a heap more
crowded, apart from localised areas (hotspots), but I doubt we're gonna
see a whole heap of long distance, high power APs popping up all over
the place. Eg: melbwireless should be OK :)

</NON-INFORMED-SPECULATION>

;)

	Fenn.