[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [mesh] Transfer Rates

Cameron Donaghey wireless at eventtechnologies.com.au
Tue Sep 17 12:06:11 EST 2002

Hello All,
   Ok got stuck into it and did some various testing last night. It seems
that I did overlook that
fact that transferring client->AP->client halves the bandwidth because the
network is shared.
The maximum I can achieve with client->AP->client is 282kB/s which allowed
me to transfer
a 20meg file in 1min11secs. This from what I now understand is quite good.

I then decided to take the access point out of line and try the two clients
peer to peer ( adhoc )
or client->client mode and see what they could achieve by themselves.
The maximum I could get with the same 20meg file was 569.05kB/s which
allowed me to
transfer the file in 35.5secs.

I then also tried running one client to the access point connected to the
second machine
via its ethernet connection so client->AP->wired.
The maximum I achieved from this was 546.6kB/s and I transferred the 20meg
file in 37.9sec.

So from all of this I think my setup is running how it should be although I
still don't entirely
understand when going client->AP->client the transfer speed is halved when
compared to
the client->client, perhaps someone could explain or perhaps this is not
correct.

Thanks for everyone's replies,
    Cameron