[MLB-WIRELESS] Transfer Rates

Joe Hovel joe.hovel at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 12:01:13 EST 2002

One of the biggest issues I find in a discussion like this is the "mixed
units confusion"  :)
People often talk about "Megs" or whatever without specifying (or sometimes
even knowing) the units they are talking about, eg. MB (mega bytes =
1024kilobytes), Mb (megabits), MHz (megahertz), Mbps (megabits per second)
or MBps (mega bytes per second). When the possible ranges are great enough,
such as in networking bandwidth, confusion can reign.
Cameron's suggestions are most helpful: he suggests NOT to talk about
throughput in terms of bits per second, but to use Bytes per second.
To put this in context, Michaels' explanation of overheads and latency
helped.
I suggest we use a little more "discipline" and put the "ps" at the end of
the unit to identify speed rather than volume when talking about transfer
performances and use "B" instead of "b" to refer to "Bytes" (=8+1+1or 0 bits
or = 7+1+1or2 bits) and "bits" (= binary digits = 1 or 0).
I'd be interested know in this context how big (in bits) each frame and
packet identifier is and how many are needed in each  - say - kilobit or
kilobyte of transmitted data.
We might then get a better idea of comparing apples with apples.... I get
around 350kbps sustained data rate on  my 802.11b 11Mbps network, using a
single AP and network client. MUCH lower than the 3+ Mbps of a wired 10Mbps
Ethernet link!
Cheers,
Joe