[MLB-WIRELESS] Effect of weather on wireless links

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Tue Sep 17 08:25:50 EST 2002

| How much will varying weather conditions affect the performance of a
| wireless link?
| More specifically, conditions such as temperature, humidity, rain/fog
| (smog?), electrical activity and pressure?
|
| After experiencing a vast spectrum of weather over the past few weeks (ie
1
| very windy, rainy and harsh storm a few weeks back, and a 27C sunday
| followed by a rainy and very windy monday), i was wondering how peoples
| wireless links stood up to it.
|
| I am interested in linking with a node which is 2.3km away, across a
valley.
| Last winter, there was very thick fog across it, and even during light
rain,
| i can only just make out his roof.  Also, we are near the top of two
facing
| hills (he is situated near the police academy), so lightning strikes can
get
| close-ish.
|

| thanks,
| nudge

I have a 1km link to a mate down the road, there is LOS during good weather
conditions but in my area around May I think it was the fog was so thick
that I couldn't see the house next door. How did it effect the link? We
dropped about 2K/sec in thruput. Even thru torrential rain, same deal. And
his links just a cantenna hooked to a laptop sitting in the window.