[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh via Internet tunnels.

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Sat Sep 14 05:28:32 EST 2002

Clae wrote:

>> OK, so if I grab a length of copper wire and pass it over the back
>> fence, can me and my mate connect our ADSL modems together?
>

> firstly, passing data by wires over a property line appears to be
> illegal - wirelessly not so.  go figure as the americans say.

Make very sure you are well *isolated* (no current loops, both on the
same phase preferably) or someone will get electroluxed.

Do a test first - run a single conductor between the two properties.
 Connect one end of the wire to *one* PCs' *chassis* (not network card),
and then measure the voltage difference at the other end - between the
conductor and the distant PCs' chassis.  I think you will be surprised.

10/100baseT is isolated anyway, but not to that extent.  A lightning
strike nearby will leave a brown stripe on the ground where your
ethernet cable was, two exceedingly fried PCs, and two exceeding
wide-eyed, brown-striped geeks, and probably a room with sparkles
running around the walls for some minutes, complete with the percussion
of 30 grams of powergel.

all good entertainment, an expensive buzz but..  much cheaper to chuck a
flyspray can in the incinerator if you want a bit of a fright..

;-)

/sw