[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the m esh via Internet tunnels.

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 09:45:11 EST 2002

Hi all,
don't stand...

right.  some statistics that do tie in nicely with this little debate.

There is the Parito Law wich states that 80% of the cost is caused by
20% of the users.  this is a fairly universally found to be true
economic rule of thumb.  Ofcourse, repeated application of limits to
your user population eventually results in a population size of zero, so
mostly you just have to accept it.  you can taylkor your user plans to
mitigate the overusage by the few, and infact doing so is a good thing
because you get much fewer disgruntled users who suddenly find their
normal (i.e. high) usage patterns results in a huge bill.... usually a
lot less profitable than a steady income stream...

This ties in nicely with my second point about bell curves...  or
Poissonian distributions.... It is well known that internet traffic
usage, in addition to increasing in size continuously, is also chaotic
in nature - i.e. inherently unpredictable.  this can be adequately (yeah
right! try it some time!) modelled by Parito Distributions... which are
heavy tailed...  does that make sense? No? OK. basically, baselines,
bell curves and so forth are inherently bogus in the internet domain
because the traffic always has a chaotic component => unpredictable.
 You can never have enough buffer space to ensure non-congestion (I am
talking about the whole internet, not just individual networks). one day
the internet will break under it's own load.  it'll get better, but it
is inevitable that it will break. Eventually.

BTW, Brendan?  since I started this thread and I don't mind if it goes
off topic, please, people, keep talking about DSL technical stuff.  I
like it and it is what I wanted to expose when I started the thread...

remember, this is a wireless networking group.  therefore any discussion
about computers, hardware, netowrk technologies, the law as it relates
to comms, the way people behave in this domain, etc. are all on topic
AFAIC....

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University