[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the m esh via Internet tunnels.

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Mon Sep 9 18:35:27 EST 2002

At 06:04 PM 9/09/2002, evilbunny wrote:
>I stand corrected...
>
>5% is a generalisation used everywhere... typically you will get a
>small minority approx 10% or less (usually about 5%) that will indeed
>use more then the other 95%, likewise you will get 5% that will use
>next to nothing, typical bell curve...
>
>This is where Optus got the magical 5% either end and removed it from
>the equation... Of course once you start imposing limits on a system,
>the bell curve can get out of whack...

I'm confused.

I do believe he was referring to an ISP that heads the largest
telecommunications group in Australia, partially owned by the people and
majority owned by the government. also known as Telstra. the one headed by
ziggy switkowski. etc.

Optus's 'bell curve', and their use of "applied mathematics" is/was grossly
inept, (partially because of the problems the TIO and ACCC have in applying
rational market pressure and base regulation) you would have to provide
actual figures to prove the rhetoric of netstats was anything more than a
quick fudge, to get usage patterns to a level they felt comfortable with.
that said, netstats worked. their bell curve theory of residual usage was a
dirty hack to engender users to feel their usage was typical. nothing like
telling people they are average to get them to conform.

The 95/5 and the 90/10 ratios people spout forth are pure speculation,
there are no numbers, no proof, no statistics, therefore no argument.

The government, and the independent bodies of the TIO and ACCC have not
moved in any direction other than sideways, and to a degree, their inaction
was to be expected in a regulated market. they did not have the control or
the ability to make changes to the system for everyone. they may never have
that kind of carte blanche power either.

I also believe it's been 14 months since Telstra abandoned their Cable/ADSL
freedom plans, and only 9 months since they disbanded those accounts. the
timing was impeccable not to damage their quarterly reports.

>DY> I beg to differ .... Tel$tra has demonstrated countless times thats
>DY> it IS possible for a huge operation to make bucketloads on money
>DY> but still have negative intelligence !!!!!
>
>DY> Consider the Broadband AUP fiasco. Assuming Tel$tra sources
>DY> were telling the truth with their claim that 5% of users were abusing
>DY> the system, surely the intelligent approach would be to penalize
>DY> the 5% rather than the 95% of responsible users
>
>DY> I haven't a clue whether the claimed percentage figures have any
>DY> basis in fact .... it is quite obvious however that the previous AUP
>DY> provided all the means required to jump on terradownloaders.

Yeah. terror-downloaders. I've met a few of them. i was one.

I would have to say, in any respect, that Telstra had little to no idea on
how to run broadband, and no interest on improving the situation or using
it in any advantageous way, until it became part of the menagerie of
Telstra services. the things that do go on, and the things that transpired
that Telstra did not know about, the list alone is staggering. and not
unbelievable. the

There are other reasons for the collapse of AU broadband in 2001, that are
all to do with management and financing, rather than profit and loss.

Toliman.