[MLB-WIRELESS] Mobile phones in remote places.

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Mon Sep 9 09:34:57 EST 2002

Hi all.
this is a question that might be particularly suited to the Telstra
people on the list....

My father has a country property (hereafter known as "The Block").  it
is in west central victoria near a town called Moonambel, near Avoca,
vineyard country.  He is in a mobile phone hole, both analogue and CDMA.
 You can clearly see it on the Telstra maps...  I have recently been
considering the best (simplest? cheapest? most robust?) way to improve
their communication with the outside world.  At the moment they have to
drive about 1km or climb the hill... (they own a hill, or at least one
side of a hill... including the local top bit).

my first thought was to set up a solar AP with a cantenna to the house,
have a phone at both ends and use VoIP or similar...  but that is a lot
of messing around, lots of protocols. CDMA, Ethernet, modem, IP,
802.11b...  is there a better way?  All I really need is a mobile phone
repeater...  are they available?  Is telstra interested in plugging
networks holes?  who would I talk to about this? what costs are involved?

any comments/referals/ideas would be appreciated...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au