[MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburne's Wireless Network

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at 2600.org.au
Fri Sep 6 07:34:55 EST 2002

Howdy all,

Damn cool re: the PDA.  Let us know how it goes.

> Currently (at Clayton at least) the only place it's rolled out is the
> Matheson library, and I'm never really there.  I reckon a great place
> for it would be the cafes in the campus centre and the FIT labs (bldg
> 19).

Unfortunately, the campus centre is the responsibility of the Monash student
union or MONYX.  I somehow doubt we'll get either party to throw some dosh
at some wireless installations so perhaps a petition is in order!  ITS will
only foot the bill for 'public' areas, such as the grass area between the
campus centre and the Menzies building.  FIT labs would be great, talk to
the faculty if you think this is a good idea (I do!).

Some areas of Med have wireless coverage, too.

> I recently bought a Symbol CF 802.11b card for my iPAQ running Linux.
> Monash only support Cisco's client which, although it comes in a Linux
> flavour, is compiled for x86, which isn't any good for my ARM based
> iPAQ.

Ohh neat.

> I think I need to use FreeS/WAN to get the VPN connection happening, but
> I really don't know what I need to put in my config file to get it
> working.  Apparently, there exist two ways of connecting to the VPN -- a
> username and password combination, or a digital certificate.
>
> Has anyone connected to the Monash VPN with FreeS/WAN and knows the
> settings I have to use?

Haven't had the chance as my Dell notebook runs WinXP (and FreeBSD under
VMware) and Linux doesn't have any support for the Orinoco/Avaya USB
wireless devices.

The staff VPN group will only support certificate based authentication
whereas the student VPN will allow username/password only combinations.  The
certificate restriction on the staff VPN group will come into effect late
September.

.t