[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 03/09/2002

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Thu Sep 5 13:42:06 EST 2002

HI all,

this budding debate about the use of the TIB is raising some interesting
points.

firstly, it is a nice case of an amateur (as in noncommercial, not
poorly implemented) software solution struggling with unexpected rapid
growth (aka category killer)...

and secondly, people are now having concerns about how it is being used
- concept creep!

In the first case, I guess that since software is a dynamic and endless
improvement process and that once you publish something, one can argue
that you no longer own it (in the sense that you have limited control
over unanticipated use of your work, not in the sense of copyright
violation... unexpected use that does not violate your copyright, etc.,
is easily to be expected), then you should expect this sort of change.
 Infact, one might even suggest that it is just this sort of change that
makes a project progress to the status of category killer ... or atleast
widely used...  I am thinking ebay or amazon here more than TIB...
So look at how the software is being used.  If it is inappropriate, you
have a choice.  modify the system to prevent it or to facilitate correct
use.  I prefer the latter because preventing people from using something
in a given way is usually either difficult - only fools are fooled by
foolproof methods - or discourages use - big nono...

concept creep is more dangerous.  Concept creep usually results in full
circle behaviour where the intent of the initial implementation is
gradually dominated by the changed and new, unexpected activities (memes
describe this evolutionary behaviour beautifully), which usually tend to
diametrically opposed behaviour than to that originally envisioned.  So
in this case think non-commercial becomes commercial advertising or bulk
becomes single item tradingpost-like sales board...
so how do you cope with concept creep?  I really don't know. but a
purity of concept statement is a good start.  And so is calving off
common unexpected activities into new branches...

seems to me we need three boards.

1) TIB, as originally envisioned.  Bulk purchases for bulk discount.
2) Private sales - single or multiple items from the direct (re)seller.
- AKA trading post
3) commercial sales only - direct advertising for wireless/computer
businesses.  not that we have to pay attention to it...

and no cross posting... (well, maybe with permission... or something...
*shrug*)  and a method of kicking people off.  you must join to post.
 you must confirm via email.

Security issues...  so far it is working (mostly?) fine on trust... just
like Visa.  the cost of fraud is less than the cost of enforcing it...we
will see what the future brings...  check out my new TIB offer :-)

synapses to speed
Neurons to power
engage Brain...
*clunk*

littlejuz at optusnet.com.au wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
> The comments about offloading retail gear was the point I was trying to make,
>but I did not want to be so blunt just in case I offended anyone, as I don't make the
>rules and I could be wrong on correct use of the TIB.
>
> I think the import comments were supposed to highlight the issue of hidden
>costs. ie is this the price you buy from the site overseas, and does it include what
>you might have to pay to customs or the tax department. I'm not saying people
>are hiding these costs deliberately, I'd just like to know all bases are covered. It
>should be clearer so that you can make an informed purchasing decision.
>
> Same goes for anything else that smells retail. What is the discount I get from
>using the TIB as opposed to going to the local PC shop?
>
>Regards,
>Gaz.
>

>>James Healy <jimmy at deefa.com> wrote:
>>
>>>To go a step further, do the supplier have appropriate permit/s in
>>>
>>place to
>>
>>>supply the product/s i.e. C-Tick for electronic products ( complied

>>>Australian Standards )?
>>>
>>For the most part, tib is for individuals organising with a few other
>>people to buy some gear (in my case, I went in with 9 others to buy a
>>magnetic mount omni for each of us), for these types of orders, we
>>can't
>>fairly be classed as importers as such....
>>
>>This sorta links with what Sneeze was saying - some people are
>>beginning
>>to offload retail stuff, which is a whole different kettle of
>>fish....
>>
>>for individuals, understanding customs is hard enough.. don't expect
>>too
>>much!
>>
>>Having said that, it could be argued that ordering 300 Omni's from
>>superpass in Canada _is_ importing.... meh.. *opens debate*
>>
>>James

>>with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message

Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
+613 9925 1624 phone