[MLB-WIRELESS] FYI - [fwd] Proposal to revoke the Radiocommunications Class Licence (Spread Spectrum Devices)

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Thu Oct 24 17:44:54 EST 2002

> | Hello syd-wireless,
> |   Anyone else notice the following on the ACA website?
>
> | The ACA proposes to revoke, under section 135 of the
> | Radiocommunications Act 1992 (the Act), the Radiocommunications Class
> | Licence (Spread Spectrum Devices).
> |
> |  To replace it, the ACA proposes to issue, under subsection 132(1) of
> |  the Act, the Radiocommunications (Spread Spectrum Devices) Class
> |  Licence 2002.
--snipped--

I think the proposal has three aims:

*Reissue that part of the Act to make its formatting bureaucratically-compliant
in wording and layout (no effective change here)

*Take the current two segments of the 2.4 GHz ISM band (2400-2483.5 MHz)
 - 2400 MHz - 2463   MHz (4W EIRP Max)
 - 2463 MHz - 2483.5 MHz (0.2W EIRP Max)
 and aggregate them together (remove the 0.2W EIRP limit on the second half)
 under 4W EIRP Max.

 *The FCC Rule permits the operation of broadband frequency hopping spread spectrum
  devices in the frequency band 2400-2483.5 MHz.  Those devices operate with a bandwidth
  of greater than 1 MHz and use fewer than 75 hopping frequencies.  However, in order to
  ensure that existing devices are not significantly affected, the ACA proposes these broadband
  devices may only operate at a maximum EIRP limit of 500 milliwatts throughout
  the frequency band 2400-2483.5 MHz.

^^^^^^^^^^ Does this part mean DSSS is OK but FHSS is verboten above 0.5W EIRP?
Can someone confirm my understanding of the third part of the proposal?

## CONCLUSION##
Based upon the above assumption, it seems the net effect of the changes to the
Act simply means that now the whole 2.4 GHz ISM band is subject to 4W EIRP.
Also, old-style FHSS equipment using a bandwidth >1 Mhz is limited to 0.5W EIRP.

comments welcomed

regards
ben