[MLB-WIRELESS] Anyone had experience with how far (km) using external antennas a 802.11a can go as we know 802.11b can go about 25km.

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Oct 16 16:33:33 EST 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Ben Anderson wrote:

> Actually, according to that, we'd be allowd to put up to 1W EIRP outdoors in
> the 5725-5825Mhz band.
>
> 5150-5350 is 200mw, indoor use only.
>
> Apparantly americans get to do 1W output, max of 200W EIRP on the upper band
> (5725-5825)
>
> > > ????
> >
> > Outdoor use of 802.11a is illegal. They fall under the LIPD licence ..
> >
> > http://www.aca.gov.au/publications/info/lipd.htm
> >
> > http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/lipd.htm

Sorry, it was my knee-jerk answer .. I ment most existing domestic gear.

There are bridges that are now available in the 5.8 Ghz range which will
do 1 Watt EIRP.

Most units I have heard of so far are all in one type units, "bolt on,
plug in, and play"

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----