[MLB-WIRELESS] ET Shuttle Observation Camera STS-112 PAR

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Tue Oct 1 10:58:15 EST 2002

From: "Tony Langdon" <tlangdon at atctraining.com.au>
To: "'Michael Borthwick'" <holden at netspace.net.au>;
<melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
> > This is what the view looks like with the camera working,
> > launch is October 2 !
> >
> > http://spaceflightnow.com/station/sts112/020912shuttlecam
>
> This should give some nice video.  So when are we going to see similar
from
> your rockets? ;-)

It would seem that Michael (amoungst others) may have been one of those who
inspired NASA to do this, as NASA does indeed acknowledge.  From the article
mentioned above:

"The genesis of this, quite honestly, was when the expendables community
placed a few of these cameras on some of their vehicles. There was a pretty
positive public reaction to the gee-wiz value of the photography. It was
neat stuff to look at."

--Phil Engelauf, lead shuttle flight director for Atlantis' mission.

Cheers,
Tyson.