[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Nov 29 12:08:31 EST 2002

> I disagree, if all DNS doesn't conflict with existing global DNS
> structures using real TLD's instead of others (see problems with 3rd
> party TLD's using .biz and people seeing mismatches in the whole zone
> thing when ICANN introduced .biz into the global TLD) Basically if we
> plan to interlink with other groups, and for example 2 different
> groups in different sides of the globe decide on using a fake TLD that
> don't know about each other now, and later try and link up (even thou
> I think this is pointless it's possible in future with things like
> IPv6)

I agree that we should be using globally recognised domain names.  This will
especially become important when more people get onto IPv6.  However, I
don't see that we would want to advertise our internal (i.e. non Internet
accessible) network information on the public DNS servers.  this is just
pointless.  You can have your cake and eat it too, whether you use split DNS
(I do at home, as well as here), search domains (be careful), or whatever.
If someone wants me to list under cw.net.au or one of the other alternatives
for consistency's sake, I have no problems with that.

I'll probably just put all my wireless nodes under vkradio.com, because I
own that namespace, so it's easy to manage.  The wireless info won't be on
the public DNS servers, except for nodes reachable via IPv6 (which will live
under ipv6.vkradio.com :) ), since these are potentially globally reachable.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain