[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Fri Nov 29 11:00:23 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, James Healy wrote:

> > Another option would be to ask Jamie Lovick to delegate melb.cw.net.au
> > to MW. That way we can have node.melb.cw.net.au
>
> I'm a fan of a non-global DNS system. node.melb.cw.net.au (and the other
> options I've seen..)is starting to get long a wieldly. Remember... you'll be
> typing it _everytime_ you access a MW node.
>
> yuck

You an easily get around this by setting search domains, bu it means if
disparate networks are linked at some stage, You don't have to re-invent
the wheel.

> I dont know what i prefer. server.node.melbwire or something would be cool.

Sure, or even server.node.mw .. which would be server.node.mw.cw.net.au
from anywhere else not using the search domain.

> server - name chosen by the node owner - you have 16 IPs remember,
> so you can run multiple machines. node - node id, automatic.
>
> anyway, tis all theory for the moment... Important for us to dicuss
> it, but the need for DNS is still a bit off, so no need to rush a
> decision through

There are plenty of options, it's just a matter of choosing one that
works for everyone.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----