[MLB-WIRELESS] IPSEC

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 27 16:43:40 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jason Clarke wrote:

> From what I've read and played with, IPSEC is a protocol. So you should be
> able to connect anything to anything :-)
>
> (Don't try it on a P75 laptop though)

Actually, with a BSD OS (possibly Linux too), as long as you have a
reasonable amount of memory (say, 16MB) you should get OK performance out
of such a machine using something like 3DES (which is reasonably secure).

Given the traffic volumes people are probably talking about with wireless
links, a P75 should provide acceptable performance.

The real CPU eater is the asymmetric (public-key) crypto, but there isn't
much of that in IPSEC.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 417 346 094