[MLB-WIRELESS] dwl-520 + Powermac 6360 + Debian = AP

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 27 20:56:00 EST 2002

At 12:29 AM +1100 27/11/02, Tristan Gulyas wrote:
>Wow!  I'm impressed!  6360s are pretty neat machines, too.  I remeber seeing
>one at a swap meet for <$100 dollars.

One in Cash Converters Elizabeth St City right now for $70 with monitor

>Not sure about the other 6300s and
>whether they'd work though.

Avoid the following Powermacs like the plague; 5200, 5260, 6200,
6205, 6300, 6320.   They are dog-slow in spite of having a reasonably
fast CPU, for a whole bunch of techy reasons I won't go into here.
Amongst other dumb things, the audio breaks up if you *type* too fast.

Basically, jamming a 64 bit cpu onto a leftover32 bit motherboard
*does*not*work*.  Bloody blow-in cost-cutting econorat management.
If you want the whole blood-curdlingly inept kludge in detail, here's
the link:

http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml

6360s (one PCI), 6400 and 6500 are much better (two PCI)

Anything else with a 5 in the second digit will be a 3- or 6-slot
PCI, reasonably powerful and cheap, with an upgradeable CPU (to G4
800mHz)
Anything with a 1 in the second digit is a Nubus machine - no PCI

G3 desktops with 3 PCIs and ethernet are about $200-300 on ebay at
the moment, and will run OS X (slowly) or your choice of other
unixoid (quickly)

>This should work on most PCI-based PowerMacs as long as they running
>Linux...  Multiplatform OS's rock, hey?

Sure do

--
-the lord is my shepherd, I shall not want - aum namah shivayam -
allah u akhbar -