[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Nov 26 10:21:46 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:09:43AM +1100, Tom Parker wrote:
> I'm not sure which Dlink AP you are referring to here.  I think there
> are a few versions of the 900AP (not the AP+) - mine certainly has the
> Atmel

i was talking about the 900AP+ - sorry, i should have been more
specific.

AFAIK, they all use the same CPU, the same SDRAM, the same flash.

> 76C510 Atmel chip.  I think this will never run linux because there is
> no data available on the chip without non-disclosure agreements.  From
> the two page summary I have it seems to have two ARM cores in it, but
> very little SRAM.

the 900AP+ seems a lot more viable - Samsung CPU with an existing linux
port, 2MB of flash, and 64MB of SDRAM.  the samsung CPU has a UART so,
in theory, a little hardware hacking could give it a serial console
(which would be useful but isn't strictly necessary - and it would
require running a serial cable up the mast as well as ethernet)

and they're fairly cheap.  i bought mine for AUD $275.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.