[MLB-WIRELESS] FreeBSD and Wireless 802.11b

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Nov 20 10:35:20 EST 2002

Hi all,

As you may be aware I am setting up (er. attempting to set up) a wireless
network test bed at Swinburne.  We have a fairly good idea of what we want to
end up doing and how to do it, but I have some issues I need a hand with.

OK, I have two main areas to address.

OS is FreeBSD. this is fairly fixed for historical and prejudicial reasons.

1) hardware setup -
	hardware compatability between PCI-bridges, motherboards, wireless pccards
and LAN cards/other cards.

2) IPv6  - setting it up on the testbed network and tunnelling to other IPv6
networks....

As you can see, the above are not dissimilar to some of the issues that have
cropped up on this forum.  What I need right now is help with the first item.
Specifically I am trying to achieve 2 things.

firstly I want to get the machines I have working with the equipment I have
right now.

secondly I want to make a choice about what hardware to recommend that we
purchase here to allow us the best chance of a trouble free test bed.

People who have set up wireless cards on FreeBSD based machines, can you share
your experiences with me, especially if you have had problems.  I am
interested in what chip sets combinations you are using (mother board,
pccard, pci bridge especially)

To kick things off, this is what I have encountered so far.

Machine 1:

EPIA (rev B) MB - via VT8231 chip set, small form factor (~150 mm square)

ex skynet global wireless card - Enterasys CSIBD-AB high rate 40 bit WEP

PCI cradle - Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge - as sold by Matt Chipman (and
me early on) on the TIB, ID'd as Communication Automation Corporation using
'pciconf -lv'

Problems encountered: (resolved):
pccard ID'd and installed with no problems. BUT, wi0 interface not brought up
on start up or on card insert.
error message to the effect that the card was not found in the database:
Web search found this to be a pccard_mem problem, detailed in 'man pccardc'
and corrected by setting pccard_mem="0xd8000" in /etc/rc.conf
wi0 now works beautifully in this machine.

Machine 2:
compaq evo - MB unknown (no obviuos markings), chipset intel FW82801BA

same wireless card and PCI bridge as above

Problems encountered: (unresolved):
same error conditions as above.  BUT changing pccard_mam to any of the 4
available slots does not correct the problem.

suspect it is an IRQ or PCI space clash,. but this is just a guess at teh
moment.

chain of devices
pcib0 -> pci0 -> (uhci0,1,atapci0,isab0,pcib1 and )pcib2->pci2->(fxp0, vr0 and
pcic0)

fxp0 - Intel Pro/100 Ethernet
vr0 (VIA VT6102 Rhine II 10/100BaseTX) -> miibus0 (MII bus) -> ukphy0 (Generic
IEEE 802.3u media inerface)
pcic0 (Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge) -> pccard0 (PC card 16-bit bus
(classic)

as you can see there are 3 ethernet devices hanging off the one PCI bus.  2 of
these share irq 10 or 11 (or 5? - I believe I can force this in Bios)

on the other machine the irq was 5 (IIRC) and the memory range looked OK for
that. Is it posible that the pccard0 needs to be on irq 5 for the memory
ranges available in pccard driver to work?  Is there a utility available in
BSD land that will allow me to look at the DMA, IRQ,PCI and memory settings
of my machine in a way that allows me to make an intelligent decsion about
what settings to use? (I can use pccardc or pccardd flags to set these values
if I just know what they are...)