[MLB-WIRELESS] DLINK 900AP+ hanging/race problem

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Mon Nov 18 06:56:15 EST 2002

Just noticed this problem... I run my laptop (Avaya Gold card) with power
saving features on. The power LED normally blinks rapidly, showing the
card alternating between active and sleeping, and the activity LED blinks
when there are actually packets going somewhere.

After having the laptop powered on for a couple of hours the LEDs went
bonkers - *both* of them blinking rapidly. I also had a complete loss of
IP transport, even though I was apparently still connected to the AP. The
"WLAN" LED on the 900AP+ was also going for its life, like a whole heap of
traffic was passing through, but sniffing on my FreeBSD box showed zero
traffic.

Switching off power saving mode on the laptop 'fixed' the problem. I
figured it was a quirk due to low batteries, but they're now fully charged
and re-enabling power saving results in the same problem. (Note the laptop
was also rebooted and the problem still existed)

The only solution to this problem was to power cycle the AP!

Has anyone seen this before? Maybe the power saving routines in the
firmware (on either the AP or the card) are buggy? This could be a serious
issue on a public access point...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia