[MLB-WIRELESS] Installfest/antenna field day, November 23

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Fri Nov 15 00:51:43 EST 2002

Ey all,
A reminder that the inaugural Melbourne Wireless installfest and antenna
field day will be held in conjunction with the Linux Users of Victoria
installfest at Strathcona Baptist Girls' Grammar School, Campberwell on
November 23.

Hopefully the morning will be pretty much dedicated to antenna and
access-point hacking, while the afternoon will be dedicated to playing
with wireless network protocols.

WHAT TO BRING
Antenna workshop - Bring all the bits you want to build into your
antenna/cantenna. People will be available to help with soldering,
optimising and hacking antennas/cantennas. If you have an antenna you
need to mod but lack the skills or confidence, this workshop is for you.
Soldering irons and a bit of solder will be supplied.
Wireless networking - This hopefully will be a fairly dynamic part of
the day. Possibilities extend to making an attempt at mesh, VoIP, OSPF.
It's also a chance to test an antenna, lappy or access point in
real-world applications. Bring whatever you want to test. Ensure it
includes all necessary power cables, monitors, network cables, antennas,
antenna mounts, pigtails, keyboards, wireless cards and so on. MARK YOUR
PROPERTY CLEARLY.

CAN I BRING MY NANA/SISTER/FRIEND/PUPPY/LOVE INTEREST DE JOUR WHO KNOWS
NOTHING ABOUT WIRELESS AND WON'T STAY AT HOME?
No dogs allowed. The others are welcome as long as they're
house-trained. They can hold antennas.

WHERE IS IT?
Strathcona is located along Prospect Hill Road, Camberwell (Melway map
46, F12), within easy walking distance of Canterbury station. Access to
the carpark at the rear of the school is via Bryson Street. Signs will
direct you to the wireless room. Trolleys will be available for those
lugging huge amounts of stuff from the carpark to the wireless area.

WHAT TIME?
The day kicks off at 10am. You can bring whatever stuff you like from
this time, as there is no rigid schedule for any activity. Things will
wind up at 4pm.

DRESS
Geeky. Ubergeeky. Astroubergeeky.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Strathcona is providing the event free of charge. There will be a tin
for voluntary donations should anyone feel like contributing to
Strathcona's costs, but there will be no formal cover charge.

I'VE GOT A GREAT IDEA FOR THE DAY WHY DON'T WE ...
Bit late, but we're open to suggestions. E-mail me at
antifsck at wireless.bur.st.

--

barry park
http://wireless.bur.st ||| community wireless project