[MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Wed Nov 13 11:10:59 EST 2002

I think there's probably a whole bunch of reasons, including but not
limited to:

* Not appearing to be working against corporate interests, in case they
become large
* Not having made the decision to enable a huge porn/wares network, in
case that's what happens
* Not actually shutting the door on community wireless, in case that
becomes huge and beneficial

Basically, it's safer for them to do nothing until they see what's the
most advantageous position.

Meanwhile, we hope it all goes the right direction.  I note that someone
else mentioned the "community groups are allowed" ruling recently - I
unfortunately didn't see that one/pay enough attention to it - it may
have been the "third option" I mentioned, that makes what we do safe.
If it was, then that's cool - but I suspect even if they've recently
ruled community groups can carry third-party traffic, they'll be wanting
to hit said community groups with the same restrictions as being a telco
- which will include being able to demonstrate ability to capture
traffic at any point if required, holding sufficient logs, and being
able to help the nice policemen in their enquiries.

KJL