[MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Tue Nov 12 21:41:14 EST 2002

At 08:08 PM 12/11/2002, rick wrote:
>are they asking us to police our own???

(sic)
>Any comments on this? I'm not sure if I like what it's implying.....
>
>Signed,
>Steven Haigh
><http://wireless.org.au>http://wireless.org.au
>(Visit <https://wireless.org.au>https://wireless.org.au to install our
>Root Certificate.)

To me, this sounds like a general acceptance that there will be a directive
give, and a department of the federal police to pursue and monitor wireless
networks as if they were federal communications lines, and suspect to the
same kinds of regulations.

should be interesting to see the details of the 1979 interception act
working on radio and wireless networks, it would be tough to enforce legally...

if you are looking for advice on how to proceed, we should be putting up a
disclaimer that the network is informal, and any crimes committed with
wireless / WiFi, are the same as regular crimes committed with guns,
knives, pencil erasers, coloured ink, spray paint and keyboards., etc. etc.
etc.

if we do set up a larger point-of-presence network, then it will be an
issue because of the nature of being a data carrier. as soon as our network
carries data or traffic that is used in a crime, then our network is
responsible. with all the trappings of a data carrier without the high
initially high price-tag of operation.

so, this rule is kinda meaningless right now, i would surmise that this
FDP-esque (a WiFi P.i. or W.B.I. ) organisation will either ask for
co-operation, ask for our membership list and our node database at some
point, or the ability to acquisition node data with a subpoena or warrant
asking for the invasion of privacy. which is what i would be assuming
without any indication of what the Attorney General wants specifically.