[MLB-WIRELESS] Bridge vs router vs AP

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Thu May 30 02:17:44 EST 2002

Hello Clae,

AP is a dumb device, it's usually made up of the same card used in
client setups with a bit more software to make it send out "beacon"
packets, this then makes devices act by sending all packets via it...

Bridge is a client connection more or less, it talks to an AP or
another bridge (but not in ad-hoc) and links 2 wired networks
together, bridges usually also are able to act as access points, but
not usually simultaneously...

Most AP's cannot act as routers, this usually requires an additional
piece of hardware, weather if be a dedicated device such as cisco
make, or linux boxes, and depending on the level of sophistication
weather it's dynamic or static routing... most dynamic routing devices
are 3rd party to the wireless devices, except in the case of a linux
box.

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com

http://www.SydneyWireless.com - Exercise your communications
freedom to make it do what you never thought possible...