[NoCat] NoCat linux distro install notes

Allen Marsalis am at shreve.net
Thu May 23 03:40:53 EST 2002

Hi All,

I'm new to NoCat and I could not find much documentation
regarding the linux distro or its installation.  We got it
to boot up without too much problem.  :) But I thought I would
share my notes on how we did it..  If there is no existing doc
for this, please feel free to use/modify this as a start.  If it
is documented, plz shoot me a note where I might find it..  It
would be interesting reading for me at this point..  Thx..

NoCat Slackware Distro Install Notes:

1) Boot from Tom's linux boot floppy available at:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

Partition then format the drive..  This is using fdisk and
mke2fs commands as follows:

fdisk /dev/hda1

Create one primary partition, then:

mke2fs /dev/hda1

2) Un-b2zip the distro on any linux box using the bunzip2
command.

bunzip2 -d distro-0.01.bz2

3) At this point, you can ftp or NFS mount the .tar file
depending on if you have ftp or NFS available on the
current boot floppy.  Set up network on Tom's boot floppy
accordingly (ip configuration)

a) Get the .tar file via ftp and untar it to the root directory
of the new drive.  Then delete the .tar file

mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk

then FTP the .tar file into the /mnt/disk directory

tar -xvf /mnt/disk/distro-0.01.tar
rm /mnt/disk/distro-0.01.tar

-  or  -

b) NFS Mount the .tar file off another box and untar it into
the root directory of the new drive.  Nothing to delete.

mkdir /mnt/sol
mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk
mount sol.shreve.net:/home/ftp/private/nocat /mnt/sol
tar -xvf /mnt/sol/distro-0.01.tar --directory /mnt/disk

4) Reboot using the slackware boot disk using the
base.i boot floppy image from any slackware mirror.

For Slackware, the "boot:" prompt command is:

mount root=/dev/hda1

5) Run lilo to install the boot sector to the new drive:

lilo -C /etc/lilo-hde.conf

Allen
am at shreve.net

--------------060409090606070407090503--