[MLB-WIRELESS] National IP allocation and routing sche me??

Random random at sectoid.org
Tue May 21 11:06:13 EST 2002

I thought I'd throw my 2c in here, I've been in a few similar
discussions with others about ip's also for a short while I played with
the idea of being freenetworks ip friendly (ie, using a small bunch of
ip's that doesn't conflict worldwide). Modeling wireless networks on the
Internet is a very good thing for many reasons, but one of them should
not involve dividing up 10.* (and or 192.*, etc) to use worldwide. With
all the current trouble with IPv4 especialy!

But anyway, there definatly should be consistency in Australia at least,
personally as I have said before on syd-wire I don't see any advantage
using more than just 10.*, I don't see any use in using 172*/192* for ap
communications and such. If you want 10.x can be logically divided so
that you know exactly what is a client, and what is an ap/node, but also
more importantly as EB just said, route summarisation is critically
important, especially when you start to envision the complex routing we
_will_ be dealing with, a semi-mesh network as this is can quickly
become a routing nightmare, unless initial thought is put into it.

Nb, someone mentioned possibility of filtering client -> client comms, I
hope you relise that half the purpose of these wireless networks is
client->client comms! ;)

I've posted various detailed idea's on how to overcome these issues, and
how ip's could be efficiently allocated, have a look in the syd-wire
mailing list archive to see. (middle last month)

---
Martin Laukkanen (random at sectoid.org)

http://www.SydneyWireless.com - Exercise your communications freedom to
make it do what you never thought possible...