[MLB-WIRELESS] National IP allocation and routing sche me??

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon May 20 15:18:45 EST 2002

> I'm starting to be inclined to agree, it will be the only way to get
> unique IP space, however we could still have IPv4->IPv6 gateways...

True.  Just that with the explosion of wireless networks and the demand on
the private address space, I see a lot of pain if we ignore the IPv6 option
in the long run.  Of course, we will be needing gateways, and will initially
have to support IPv4, but the more I think about it, the more I feel IPv6 is
going to be less hassle.

We have one big advantage - we're a new network - less migration pains :-).

> we could always use some of the reserved space and hope they aren't
> used before the switch to IPv6
>
> 1.0.0.0/8
> 2.0.0.0/8
> 23.0.0.0/8
>
> etc...
>
> 3.0.0.0/8 is used by GE but only for internal, not sure about complete
> ramifications... (NoCat plan to start issuing from here after they
> fill 10.0.0.0/8)

Well, that might be a good tactic.  Also eliminates the risk of clashing
with peoples' private allocations.  However, one can't be sure there won't
be ramifications...

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.