RF legals - was - Re[4]: [MLB-WIRELESS] Press Release

Steven Haigh netwiz at optushome.com.au
Mon May 20 09:34:04 EST 2002

After talking to Jim Karamalakis from the ACA - who mainly deals with the RF
side of the ACA - especially with class licences, home brew antennas are
fine, galaxy antennas are fine, as long as you still stay withing the legal
limit of 4W EIRP.

The topic has been raised before regarding if two devices were used on the
same antenna - how this would affect the 4W EIRP limit. Jim told me that the
4W EIRP is per *device* - not the total from the antenna. He gave me an
example of commercial radios on the Rialto - where there may be one antenna
servicing 50 radios - each radio is licenced for, say, 50W - but the antenna
may be putting out, say 500W at one time - he told me this is the same
scenario with having 2 devices on one antenna.

He did also mention that we would have to check the RF exposure laws
regarding this - as say we stick 10 into one antenna, then the total antenna
output power may be subject to other laws...

Signed,
Steven Haigh
President - Melbourne Wireless
www.wireless.org.au