[MLB-WIRELESS] Press Release

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Sun May 19 14:31:38 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 14:31, Steven Haigh wrote:
> This was discussed at the last WGStructure meeting. We all agreed that it
> would not be worth their time - just think of all the bad media etc that
> their companies would get when trying to smudge out a small community
> group... It simply wouldn't be worth their time. We don't have any assets
> for them to try and take, except for about $130 in the groups funds - which
> is nowhere near what it would cost them - that's if a court would even take
> their case.

I'd be keeping an eye on the fact that, with the discussions currently
underway as to whether legislation should change or not, any sign of a
community group challenging traditional telcos in particular would put
the telcos firmly in the "you need a telco licence to operate,
regardless" camp.  They don't need to attack melbwireless directly, they
can simply be convinced that community wireless generally is a threat to
their income, and therefore try to ensure that the legislation makes it
impossible for community wireless groups to exist.

That, imnsho, is the bigger threat.  What you do about it is anyone's
guess.  But trumpeting melbwireless as "an alternative" to traditional
connectivity providers is likely not a good step toward convincing the
people who have the ability to push decisions through that community
groups should be allowed to exist.

> This would also contravene the authority of Garry to talk on behalf of the
> ACA - if they can't get their own stories right, then what use are they to
> the general public? Discussions held with the ACA are bonding, as the
> representative is employed by the ACA, and it is therefore their duty to
> correctly advise the public.

Note, from having dealt with similar stuff at an ISP level, they
_cannot_ get their stories straight - never believe they can.  Unless
you have something in writing (preferably a ministerial "ruling" on your
specific case), you're out on a limb.  They can, will, and have
previously, quite happily overturn verbal discussions/agreements down
the track.

If they're not willing to write it down, then it's worth exactly
nothing.  If you're right with the above, then Garry should have no
problem with putting in writing to you/melbwireless what he's stated
over the phone?

My 2c,
KevinL