[MLB-WIRELESS] Press Release

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Sun May 19 07:16:04 EST 2002

Dear Steven,

I've had a bit more of a think about your press release, and there
are a few points that concern me that I'd like to raise with you.

Firstly, although you pledged at your election to consult with the
membership, you wrote and released this without speaking AFAIK to
anyone else.   At an absolute minimum, this should have been run past
WGPublicRelations, of which I am a member, which it was not.

The other concerns I have are detailed in my original reply to you
below, to which I have added a few points.  I've also added your
reply about your conversation with someone at the ACA.

A telephone conversation with a public servant at the ACA is not
worth anything.  Until we have a departmental ruling IN WRITING, or a
court case, as far as I am concerned our status is grey.  If your
conversation with the ACA indicated otherwise, it would have been
prudent of you to let the rest of us, at least the WG, know.  That
would have been exiting news to hear.  But as things stand, we are
getting contradictory advice, we haven't spoken to lawyer one, and I
don't think it is wise to put melbwireless's name behind these kinds
of statements.  ( See *** below)

I realise you don't actually _say_ that we are a wireless ISP.  But
you definitely imply it, treading an incredibly fine, and
provocative, line in your wording.

But further, what we can get away with legally is one thing.  What
you have effectively done is to throw down the gauntlet to the entire
internet industry in this country, and said that "we will compete
with you, provide services you cannot provide to your customers,
poach your existing and new customers, all without paying to enter
your domain".  That is in effect what your press release says.

As stated at the previous meeting, Megalink for one sees us as a
direct threat to their business plan.  And they are "merely" a
multi-million dollar operation.

This is a multi-*billion* dollar industry.  They are not going to sit
still for this kind of thing.  Look at the way Kerry Packer/PBL (a
player through NineMSN) have twisted the government's arm over the
last thirty years over everything from Aussat in the 70s, to the
introduction of digital television.  They have consistently been able
to bring about an abortion of a regulatory regime which protects the
existing behemoths against newcomers, who are also
multi-million/billion dollar forces.  Do you honestly think they
would hesitate for a nanosecond to squish some little group of hacker
weenies who meet in a scout hall once a month?

If we piss these people off enough, then one way or another they are
going to tear our arses off.  They would be negligent in their duty
to their shareholders if they didn't.

Quite apart from what they could achieve legislatively - and this is
I might add extraordinarily bad timing with the current inquiry - is
what they could achieve in nuisance lawsuits, and other tactics.
Telstra, Optus et al can afford to throw lawyers at you until the
heat death of the universe.  And whether their cases have any merit
or not, you will still be required to defend yourself ($) or forfeit
(more $).  Are you really willing to stand up against that kind of
onslaught?

And right now, because we have not incorporated yet, melbwireless is
effectively YOU.  And possibly myself and Tyson as office bearers.
Thanks.  One of the things incorporation protects us against is legal
and financial liability of directors.

It doesn't have to be Telstra lawyer blitzkrieg either.  It could be
Megalink.  It could be the ISP industry group.  Or new and adverse
legislation coming out of the inquiry.  Or it could be an official
departmental ruling that doesn't go our way.  One signature, from
someone more senior than whoever it was you spoke to.  A few long
lunches and a word in someone's ear.

When you were elected president, you agreed to the duties of that
office, which we all voted on.  That was a legal and moral contract
between yourself and everyone else.  This action contravenes the
letter of that agreement, let alone the spirit.  And it would be a
failure of my duties as secretary, responsible for the regulatory
compliance of the association, not to raise this with you.

Clae David Gason
Secretary,
Wireless.org.au

----------------
***  Licensing Issues
----------------

Clae wrote:
>Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>>in fact any member of the public
>
>not according to the legislation

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~mesh/doc/2001-10-25-aca-answer.txt

have a good look at the last part of the questionnaire at the bottom
of http://www.wireless.org.au/wiki/?TheEvolvingFAQ .

---

Carriage licensing questionnaire
/snip/
Question 2:  Is/are the network unit(s) used to provide carriage
services to the public?

Question 3:  Is/are the network unit(s) solely used for the purpose
of  providing carriage services on a non-commercial basis?

Further action

If you reached Question 3 and answered NO to that question THEN YOU
NEED TO APPLY FOR A CARRIER LICENSE (my emphasis)

---

so that means:  Free public access = carrier licence.   End of story
until we are told otherwise IN WRITING.