[MLB-WIRELESS] Community Wireless Client project.

Rob Kyle rtw_in240days at yahoo.com
Sun May 19 04:35:08 EST 2002

>Jamie Lovick wrote:
>
> I am more suggesting something to run as a client
> rather than a wireless
> access point or access server.
>
> This is for people who do not want to run an access
> point, but just a
> client on the network.
>
> Regards
>
> Jamie
>
> --
> Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479

I've been investigating the possibility of doing this
over the past few weeks and made a fair bit of
progress.

I've been playing around with the Sputnik Linux
distro, and it seems like quite a good base for
building a "Community Wireless" distro.  It does a
pretty good job of automatically detecting and setting
up pretty much any wireless hardware.

I don't think the distinction between AP and client
should neccessarily be that concrete - I would be very
interested in using an Ad-Hoc routing protocol like
AODV.

Running Mozilla from a boot CD is actually surprising
usable, services like Apache could be started as an
option.  I haven't had much of a chance to look into
it, but NoCatAuth appears to include all the tools
needed to setup a secure (authenticating) firewall.

If there is enough interest, maybe we should setup up
a working group, or write a white-paper.

Rob Kyle

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com