[MLB-WIRELESS] A gimmick for MW

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Sat May 18 16:17:01 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 16:21, Matt Chipman wrote:
> A quick question ....  What was the name of the company that recently went
> broke yet unwittingly helped to sponser a wireless networking project around
> australia?
>
> Now ask yourself why you know the answer

Word of mouth ;)

Seriously, I think there's probably a way to go before there's something
significant to advertise.  At the moment, it's mainly just enthusiasts,
because there's not much to attract anyone _besides_ enthusiasts -
that'll change, by itself.  In the meantime, I'm more interested in
getting the people who are here and interested connected up.

I'm sitting in Coburg, with a very small footprint, wondering what my
next step is - I've got a loaner access point running, slowly converting
to having my own gear, and doing the legwork to figure out what sort of
antennas etc. are appropriate.  I'd like to see a) some indication of
who's actually near me - the ndoe database is fine, but it seems
everyone's marked as interested rather than testing or running; and b)
some more info on what's actually required to make a node and mesh it in
with others.  I mean, I can work out that I need to get an antenna and a
run of coax, a card capable of taking an external antenna (or being
modified to do so), and plug the lot into a linux box here, but beyond
that - who's nearby, how do I connect to them, should the antenna be a
directional or an omni (or should I get both), what's the routing
situation...?

I reckon, personally, making connections between the people who are here
and interested is more important at this stage than trying to raise
awareness amongst others.  Let's get what we've got working, before we
tell people how cool it all is, yeah? :)

KevinL