[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Wed May 15 14:28:14 EST 2002

Tony Langdon wrote:

> Hehe, milkbat internet...  However, the number of milk bars is falling
> rapidly.  Supermarkets have gobbled up their customers.

Errr, which, funnily enough, is why I said they'd leap at any new
revenue opportunity.

> > Wouldn't it be niftier to link the stations using wireless?
> > Is it something we could be involved in?
>
> I don't think this is such a good idea.  It was only a few days ago that I
> mentioned about potential problems of using 802.11b when reliability is
> required outdoors.  How do you think passengers would feel if some fool took
> delight in DoSing the station whenever someone went near the button (there's
> that door-less microwave again ;) ).

Today is stupid day for Dwayne.

The last sentence made no sense to me. Why would they DoS the station
whenever someone pressed the green button?

> Or the station was wiped out by a
> legitimate ISM emission (against which they have no protection).

Well, the reason I thought of this is because I was reading about "WiFi
hotspots" being proposed for Melbourne train stations, major pedestrian
crossings, etc. So, despite your pooh-poohing, it's an idea which has
some currency and may actually come about. I thought it might be
something we could help with.

Dwayne