[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Wed May 15 13:47:08 EST 2002

Ben Ryan wrote:

[dubious and hoo boy way off-topic speculation snipped]

> All these make it non-viable. But with a new possibility for high-speed
> interconnect, you could actually set up a broadband distribution hub in say, a
> back room of the local milkbar!

Aha, I actually spoke to my local (Coburg) milkbar owner about doing
exactly this in late 1999. He was very very keen. I'd say any milkbar
will leap (hell, catapult themselves) at a new revenue stream. Milkbar
owners have, I'm sure, an Association. There's a milkbar at least every
square kilometer in Melbourne. That's widespread coverage. I had a
business model worked out which used this as a keystone but I can't be
bothered with it (too complex, too costly, too much hassle) so hey,
perhaps we should speak to the milkbar owners association with an eye
towards utilising our synergies, baby.

Oh, um, also, I was going to mention this a while back but forgot.

Ever caught a train?
Ever pushed the little green button to find out when the next train is
coming?

Is that *really* a local call?
Each time?  Isn't that expensive? Per station? Per day? Aren't there a
hell of a lot of them in Melbourne?

Wouldn't it be niftier to link the stations using wireless?
Is it something we could be involved in?

> *Lease space off a well-located establishment (near the exchange)

I don't understand this bit.
Why near the exchange? Do you mean the telstra exchange?

> *Lay cable to allow jumpering of customer pairs if they want to
> move off Telstra (DSL allows simultaneous use of POTS fones and the data
> transport, Ericsson DSL carries the voice portion over the network and gateways
> it out wherever you want)
> *Install the gear, ensure power supply continuity, secure enclosure
> *Connect the hub to the Utility mesh, which enables inter-hub communication as
> well as trunking back to the central office and from there to the internet
> *Watch Telstra bleed and cry :)

mwahahahahahaha

> Otherwise it would be a 2Mbit ISDN E1/PRI from telstra (Thousands a month) back
> to central office and then you have to get bandwidth to your internet
> provider... overprovision 128kbit for each user and watch as the Telstra
> solution hits six figures a month...

There's no way to get internet access without going through Telstra?
What about UUNet or some other major backbone provider? Or do they still
need to go through telstra at some point because they have the country
locked up?

> And that's the solution to delivery using DSL, a pretty intensive transport to
> install. Wireless?? well, find a spare rooftop ;)

There's the customer end too, remember.

> ahh what a rambling, but you get the point.

Blinding headache, I *think* I do, I hope *I'm* making sense.  :-/

Dwayne