[MLB-WIRELESS] TS Wireless update

andrew garton agarton at toysatellite.org
Tue May 14 18:00:20 EST 2002

Greetings!

Just a quick word about progress at Toy Satellite.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has written, called and generally
offered advice and support. This has been one of the most suprising
and encouraging outcomes of the project to date. Special thanks...

Ok, our antenna was re-mounted last weekend, but we have yet to test
it thoroughly. Anyone within the vicinity is welcome to zone in.

We did some netstumbling a couple of weeks ago and found at least one
melb. wireless person we knew of in the area. I'm sure there's more of
you around.

If you're in the vicinity, we are located at 124 Queens Parade,
between Napier and Smith Streets.

SSID is 'free2air' name is 'Toy Satellite'.

The TS Wireless project, in collaboration with free2air.org and hopefully
Melbourne wireless persons, can be divided into the following components:

1.      In-house wireless LAN and Internet gateway
2.      Local area website
3.      Trial ambient audio stream

A feature of the network would be a trial streaming service serving only those
users who access the Toy Satellite/free2air wireless gateway. The trial would
identify:

-       bandwidth limitations;
-       ability for users to program the stream;
-       possibilities for scheduled streams amongst other free2air
        hosts at international locations;
-       interest in self-managed audio stream (social indicators);
-       interest in external programming and commissioning of new works;
-       management of copyright and royalty issues;
-       use as tool within cultural context (i.e. complimenting
        exhibitions and other related events);
-       requirements for the addition of video.

The entire project is being conducted as research with presently no
funding because we love it! :)

The streaming server is just about ready. Trials will begin within two
weeks... time permitting... We're all working over time on plenty of
other projects at present.

In July we will run at least one workshop on broadband wireless
with a colleague from Europe who will be here for the Community
Networking Conference. We'll post information about this over the
coming weeks if anyone is interested in attending.

If you want to keep up-to-date with these projects directly, you can
sub to our list by sending a blank email to:

inorbit-subscribe at lists.toysatellite.org

If you have any questions, please don't despair if we take a while to
reply. We'll have a site up soon with an FAQ and other details, but
for now we'll do our best to keep you all posted by way of:

http://www.free2air.org

keep well,
-ag.

Andrew Garton - TOY SATELLITE                agarton at toysatellite.org
http://www.toysatellite.org    toy satellite is an APC.au/c2o partner
This email is solely for the named addressee and may be confidential.