[MLB-WIRELESS] ./: Can 802.11 Become A Viable Last-Mile Alte rnative?

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Tue May 14 11:47:39 EST 2002

On 05/14/02 11:18 AM, Tony Langdon wrote:

>>http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002394645.html
>>
>>I wonder if there is a possible synergy between data transmission on
>>power distribution equipment and 802.11b public access points?
>> especially for country areas.
>>

>We'll see, though I have reservations about powerline distribution.  I don't
>know if powerlines are that well balanced at the HF frequencies used.  If
>this is the case, then they are likely to both radiate and receive a lot of
>interference.
>
>Wonder if I could DoS a PLC (powerline carrier) network by calling CQ on 7
>or 14 MHz while driving past. ;-)  With the crap that some powerlines
>already radiate (I know people who can barely operate because of powerline
>noise), it's a wonder that PLC systems work at all!

I was particularly thinking of remote access - esp. country.  after all,
it seems clear that the biggest hurdle for remote AP's is power supply.

Also the article was not clear about exactly what they meant by power
companies becoming telecos.  fibre was mentioned at one point, which
makes me wonder if it is fibre optics that are being rolled out with the
powerlines.  that would make for an interesting network.  If you have
power on you have broadband on.  then you get wireless to dothe last
mile stuff.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC