[MLB-WIRELESS] ./: Can 802.11 Become A Viable Last-Mile Alternative?

Drew drew at wireless.org.au
Tue May 14 10:38:38 EST 2002

Paul van den Bergen wrote:

> <removed lots of stuff about uncontrolled 802.11b problems with 2.4GHz
> band swamping.>
>
> just finished reading an article on <damn! forgot!> about this very
> issue.  Article was actually about Ghz lighting which I think has been
> mentioned before. Conclusion was not good, except that 802.11a in the
> 5GHz range seems to offer some salvation.  got the impression that is
> was unlicenced for comms. apps., where as 2.4 GHz allows part 15
> (transmitting and recieving) and Part 18 (transmitting only) devices.
>
> so I envisions a time in the future where we will be upgrading our
> network to 802.11a....

it appears the RF lighting story was another bit of "the sky is falling"
by slashdot. a couple of people have stated the lights are very poor, as
the RF heats up sulfur? i think to create the glow, and they get so hot
they end up failing, and the stray RF is comparable to a cordless phone,
and supposedly the company doing the lights are in bankrupcy.

-d