[MLB-WIRELESS] Mountain Radio Challenge

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed May 8 15:58:25 EST 2002

> > Dandy's the worst, because of proximity.
>

> HELL YES

:)

> > 3 hours country drive a big difference to city drive. :)
>
> Hell Yes

3 hours in the country seems a LOT less hassle than 1 hour in the city.  :-)

> > > Generators are only about .....I think $65/day.
> >
> > Bit overkill for a laptop.  I could spend that or not much
> more on an
> > inverter for keeps! :-)
>
> Just for a lappy ...yes.........

Yeah.  Sounds rather funny hehe

> We tend to hire a 3kva for the weekend and run the computer
> gear plus 2 or
> three radios and usually a foot warmer for good measure....oh
> and flouro
> lights and whatever other electrical equipment we can pack in the
> cars.......,over.  :-)

Hehe, we use a lightweight approach.  I'm very well setup for portable work
anyway.  As a test, we actually "split" our station for a while and compared
the carpark performance with spots I knew were the best.  I took a 27 MHz
handheld, UHF, 12V  SLA, UHF Yagi and home made 27 MHz 1/2 wave mounted in a
fibreglass telescopic squid pole.

On 27 MHz, the two stations were roughly equivalent.  On UHF, the portable
one ruled! :-)  As they say in real estate - location, location, location.
:-)

A lappy and inverter would make a nice addition and something to carry the
lot in. :-)

Portable operation - more specifically, lightweight portable operation,
where the only access is by foot, is my speciality.  I hope to continue that
tradition into 802.11b one of these MRCs :-)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.